Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Not-So-Comfortable Afternoon of Reading

I went to Books-A-Million today for a comfortable afternoon of reading a book I didn’t have to pay for. And when I say comfortable, I mean sans shoes and sitting Indian style. I was about 6 or 7 pages from the end of a book when a guy around my age came over and said hi. I said hello and he walked away. Then he came back a minute later and sat down in the empty chair across from me. Then he began to try and have a conversation with me. While I was reading my book. This is a pet peeve for me. I don’t want to be disturbed when I’m reading. Especially by someone I don’t know trying to get a date. So he told me his name, and I told him mine (he seemed harmless enough), but he wasn’t picking up on my disinterested body language. I kept looking down when he stopped talking and trying to read, and then he would start talking again. I didn’t want to be rude, so I would look up when he did. He interpreted my disinterestedness as shyness.

Then he sat up in his chair and scooted forward and said, “I hope you don’t mind me asking you this, but would you like me to massage your feet while your reading?”

(Pause for dramatic effect)

“No thank you, I’m good.”

Tip for men: This is not a good pick up line. It’s creepy

1 comment:

  1. You know...a simple, "Can't you see I'm reading here, Jerk?" usually does the trick.

    I know it did with me back in the day. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete