Tuesday, June 2, 2009

In Case You Weren't Sure How Nerdy I Am...

For my Linguistics class, we have to write a term paper. Linguistics is all about language, grammar, syntax, and how trends in language change, so the paper has to have something to do with languag. The professor gave us many possible topics, and I thought about maybe doing something like a comparitive essay for British and American English . But I had a better idea, one that I am SOOOO excited about. I cannot wait to write this paper.

Flowers for Algernon is a work of fiction written like a diary. The narrator is a mentally challenged man who will soon undergo some sort of procedure to make him smarter. The diary, written by this man, changes in language. Before the operation, it has many spelling and grammar errors, and the language is simple and childlike. After the operation, the reader can see the spelling, grammar, and language becoming correct and more sophisticated. I thought that this would be such a great book to analyze in terms of language. So I mentioned it to the professor, and he agreed. He even seemed pretty excited about it, too.

As soon as I got out of class, I called V and told her all about my brilliant idea. She didn't seem as excited. But then, she isn't as nerdy as I am. That's okay. I told my darling's mother and she seemed interested. She even wants to read the book when I'm done. I just have to go buy it first...

1 comment:

  1. That does sound cool. I want to read it when you finish...please.

    I'm assuming the typo was on purpose. I'm just saying...

    ReplyDelete