Thursday, June 4, 2009

Grammar Lesson

I learned sometime in middle or high school that ending a sentence in a preposition is not "correct grammar." It's one of the few rules I've remembered by name, even though I don't always adhere to it. Sometimes, I do notice it, though. A sign on campus reads, "Log onto compass to sign up." 'Up' is a preposition. However, since 'up' is part of 'sign,' I was wondering if it was still technically wrong.

Linguistics is so useful. I learned today that it is not. We started learning about verbs, and there is a type of verb called a phrasal verb. 'Sign up' is one of them. In sentences like, "The man turned into a werewolf," 'into' is not a preposition. It's part of the phrasal verb.

I just thought it was cool that I learned something I'd been thinking about for a couple of weeks.

School's great.

1 comment:

  1. Good post. I wasn't sure how nerdy you are...nyuk! Just kidding, kiddo! I'm glad you're back in the academic saddle. It suits you well.

    ReplyDelete