Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Catch up #3: Library Card

I finally decided to go to the library to get a library card! It turns out, I already had one....from 5 years ago when I used to live here. And it had $17 in late fees on it. Apparently, I used to bring a lot of books back late. It's a good thing library fines don't accrue interest. So I paid it, got a new card, and picked out a book: Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll. It was very very funny. Absurd, really, is the better word. I really have been wanting to read it, and then I found out that there's a Tim Burton movie (starring Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter) coming out sometime soon, and I knew I HAD to read it. So I did. And I loved it. One of the Queens said something that I've heard before, but I never knew where it came from: "Sometimes I've believed as many as 6 impossible things before breakfast." "Jabberwocky" is in the book, and so is "The Walrus and the Carpenter." There are so many puns, and things don't work the way you would expect them to. For instance, the Mad Hatter's watch tells what day of the month it is, not what time it is. I can't wait until I have children, because it's the perfect book to read to them, and I hope they love it as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment