Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Day with the Dictator

My bladder and the cat woke me up at 4:30 this morning. I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to fall back asleep and be doomed to boredom for the rest of the day because everything I need to do would have been done by 7:00.

I lay in bed thinking about what I would wear today (very 18th century female of me, I know) for a good 20 minutes. However, I was thinking about it so hard because V positively forced me to buy new clothes yesterday at a discount clothing store called Plato's Closet (where I might be able to get a job!!). V needed new shorts, but since she is abnormally tiny, she couldn't find any. We thumbed through racks of clothes for at least an hour, and I ended up with a very cute pair of white shorts and a shirt I can wear when I sub. Ironically, it was a shirt that V almost bought at Wet Seal about a month ago. I also found a shirt that I thought my darling might wear, and when I showed it to him, he said he would. He really needs new pants, but I am not sufficiently confident enough to buy his jeans yet. V found a pair of Buckle jeans for a whopping $25! Since they would usually cost in the neigborhood of $150, she was, needless to say, in heaven.

After our successful shopping trip, I thought her and I should cook some dinner. We made stuffed zucchini and mashed potatoes. It was great. It was the first time V ever had zucchini and she said she liked it. Here's the recipe:

4 medium zucchini squash.
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 small onion, minced
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons minced parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving 3/8 in. shell. reserve pulp. Parboil (What is parboil, by the way?) shells in salted water 2 minutes. Remove and drain. Set aside. Chop zucchini pulp. In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Saute the onion and chopped zucchini until tender. Remove from the heat and conbine remaining ingredients. Fill shells. Place in a greased baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees until heated through.

I only used half and onion; we're not big onion lovers around here. And it's a good thing V was helping me. It would have taken me all night to cook this on my own. Scooping out the shells and slicing everything took the longest. Not to mention peeling the potatoes. I had a great day, even thought V is a dictator who made me buy stuff. Hopefully she won't make me buy anything today....

1 comment:

  1. Well, at least she's a nice Dictator. Not like a Hitler, or Idi Amin, or Castro. ;)

    ReplyDelete