Monday, April 27, 2009

After Much Argument, We Decided on Australia

Yesterday, V and I made plans for us and our guys to go to Holiday in Dixie, a fair held every year in April. It was the last day, and we thought we would check it out, especially since it was free if you arrived before five pm. I didn’t get off work until four and V had to pick some stuff up around that same time. We also had to make sure the boys were ready on time.

I rushed home from work to change into less smelly clothes only to find that my guy was going to meet someone about selling his bike. He also hadn’t taken a shower (after mowing lawns all day, a shower was very important). I told V that I didn’t think we were going to make it on time. I was right. We took the bikes, got on the interstate, and after about 10 minutes, the drove by an empty parking lot where my guy thought the fair would be. After a short talk, we realized that the drivers (the guys) had no idea where they were supposed to go.

We had 10 minutes to go, and when we finally pulled into a parking lot, it was 5 o’clock. We walked up to the entrance and to our happy surprise, no one sitting at the ticket booth! However, the ride tickets were ridiculously overpriced. The fair was fairly small, so we left after only a few minutes.

At a loss for something to do, we ended up at the Boardwalk thinking we would see a movie. The conversation went something like this:

My guy: We should definitely see Fighting.
V’s guy: Dude yes.
Me: (I just gave a look that said, I dunno about that).
V: I don’t care.
My guy: Oh is Crank out? Dude Crank!
V’s guy: Naw man totally lame.
Me: I want to see Earth.
V: Uh no.
My guy: There aren’t any movie times for Earth anyway.
V’s guy: What’s wrong with Fighting? You girls get to see sweaty men without shirts on.
Me: (Another look). What about Monster vs. Aliens?
V: That sounds good.
V’s guy: Great. So you guys can see Monsters vs. Aliens, and we’ll see Fighting.
V: I’d rather see a movie with you.
My guy: So we’ll see Fighting.
Me: I just don’t like the idea of you spending money for me to see a movie I don’t want to see.
My guy: Oh. Well that makes sense.
V’s guy: Well, we have the movie times so let’s go eat and we’ll talk about it while we eat.

It took about ten minutes longer to discuss it than it took you to read it. So we had dinner and argued some more over which movie we ought to see. I finally suggested, “How about we rent a movie. Or two movies. One for you guys, one for us, and we’ll watch both. Or we could go to V’s house and pick a movie.” Her parents own their own movie store worth of movies. We agreed to this. So we all went back to her house to argue some more. We finally agreed on Australia (we can’t pass on a Hugh Jackman movie; he was sexiest man of the year!). So we went back to my house and proceeded, for the next gazillion hours, to watch Australia.

About half way through the movie, I thought it was over. It had had a climax and a conclusion (not a very satisfactory conclusion, but the boy got the girl, and I thought that was the end of it). But no: it kept going! I felt like it was supposed to be two different movies. After that first conclusion, the tone really shifted. The first half was funny, a little silly, had a bit of conspiracy, and then everything was (unsatisfactorily) resolved. The second half was World War II movie that I couldn’t see half of the time because I couldn’t stop crying. And the ending of the second half was much better. Overall, it was a great movie, but only watch it if you have lots of time on your hands!

1 comment:

  1. Funny...really funny! Aaaaaahhhhh...to be young again. That put a smile on this old craggy face.

    Heh! Today's Latin quote is even funny! When all else fails, play dead! (girl, I never knew the Latin lingo for it, but I've done it plenty of times). My Momma always called it "playing possum," but Italians and Louisiana country gals have a lot in common I guess. Good post.

    ReplyDelete